Hedge Fund Job Advice
Here is an email I got earlier today:
"I have passion for investing/trading and want to build my career in hedge funds. I am trying to break into the field, so far with no luck. I came across your blog and writing today to see if you could give me some advise on how to land into a full time hedge fund job. I have gone through your blogs and book and admire your helping attitude. I am attaching my resume for your reference..."
I get a lot of emails about how to obtain a job within the hedge fund industry, how to start networking, or get your foot in the door. Here is my general response to these emails:
Breaking into this industry is all about getting up to speed on the norms of hedge funds and then networking.
1. I would buy Hedge Me - a great book on the hedge fund industry the career path options you have, the compensation and major firms in the industry. Here is a review I wrote on the book and a link to buy it if you are interested: Hedge Me Book Review
2. I would continue to read my blog at HedgeFundBlogger.com, subscribe to this hedge fund blog by email (http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/emailverifySubmit?feedId=1049915) or download all of my past blog posts at http://hedgefundsbook.com/
3. I would call 30 hedge fund managers and ask them to have coffee or lunch. You need to get some face-to-face time with people in the position you want to obtain and hedge fund managers themselves.
4. If it would help I have written a blog post on what hedge fund managers typically look for in resumes: http://richard-wilson.blogspot.com/2007/10/hedge-fund-resumes.html
5. If you want to learn more about the industry here are my favorite hedge fund books: http://astore.amazon.com/ra07-20
6. Read Posts on HedgeFundMessageBoard.com and Join the Hedge Funds Group on Linkedin.com. After joining introduce yourself within the "New Member Introductions" thread within the message board. To join please visit this link: http://www.linkedin.com/groupInvitation?groupID=44059&sharedKey=5FC1F8699305
I have recently found an individual willing to help improve your hedge fund or investment resume. If you would like 1-4 hours of resume editing, coaching and career guidance please send me an email at Richard@RichardCWilson.com.
Permanent Link: Hedge Fund Job Advice
Related Posts:Hedge Fund Resume Tips, Hedge Fund Books, Hedge Fund Blog Book, Hedge Me Book Review
Related Terms: Hedge Fund Job, Hedge Fund Employment, Hedge Funds Careers, Hedge Funds Positions, Hedge Fund salary, Hedge Fund Compensation, Hedge Fund Job Listings, Hedge Fund Recruiter, Hedge Fund Recruiters, Hedge Fund Employers, Hedge Fund Job Options, hedge funds group, hedge fund networking
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.