HF Manager Experience
Hedge Fund Manager ExperienceMany students ask me "What work experience do I need to become a hedge fund manager?" Here are bios on some leading hedge fund managers so you may get an idea of what their personal bios and backgrounds are like.
Rick Gerson is a Managing Director of Blue Ridge Capital. He was a founding member of the firm, which has been in operation since 1996. Mr. Gerson has been an integral part of the firm's investments since its inception in a wide variety of securities globally. Mr. Gerson is a Co-Founder of Blue Ridge China, a private equity firm that focuses on investments in China. He is a board member of Orascom Housing Communities, an Egypt-based homebuilder. Mr. Gerson has a B.S. from the University of Virginia's McIntire School of Commerce.
• M.B.A., Stanford University Graduate School of Business (1990)
• B.S. in Finance, University of Virginia, McIntire School of Commerce (1985)
• President and Founder of Blue Ridge Capital
• President of Tiger Management (1993 – 1996)
• Portfolio Manager, Tiger Management (1994 – 1996)
• Analyst, Tiger Management (1987 – 1994)
• Financial Analyst, Morgan Stanley Merchant Banking Group (1985 – 1987)
Academic, Philanthropic, and Community Activities
• Visiting Professor, University of Virginia, 1999-present. Classes taught include Securities Analysis and Idea Generation; Practical Behavioral Finance and The Analyst’s Edge
• Adjunct Professor of Finance, Columbia Business School, 1998-present. Class: Seminar in Advanced Investment Research: The Analyst’s Edge
• Member, Board of Directors, Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research
• Founder of iMentor.org, a nonprofit online mentoring organization
• Founder of the Blue Ridge Foundation, which funds start-up, nonprofits
• Chairman of the Tiger Foundation 1992-1995, board member 1990 – present
• Chairman of the University of Virginia McIntire School of Commerce Foundation
• Member of Board of Trustees, Monticello (Charlottesville, Va.)
Julian H. Robertson Jr. is an investor, environmentalist, and philanthropist.
Mr. Robertson was born in Salisbury, N.C., in 1932. After graduating from the Episcopal High School in Alexandria, Va., in 1951 and the University of North Carolina in 1955, he served as an officer in the U.S. Navy.
Prior to co-founding Tiger in 1980, Mr. Robertson enjoyed a two-decade career with Kidder Peabody and Company, beginning as a sales trainee and rising to become CEO of Webster Management Corporation, Kidder Peabody’s investment advisory subsidiary.
From initial capital of $8 million, Mr. Robertson built Tiger into the world’s largest hedge fund, with capital of more than $23 billion. Tiger compounded at a gross rate of 31.5% between its founding in 1980 and its closing in 2000.
Mr. Robertson also trained and developed a generation of “Tiger Cubs,” a cadre of analysts and portfolio managers who became some of today’s most successful hedge fund managers. Today, Mr. Robertson maintains Tiger to manage his own investments and to seed independent hedge funds, run by high-achieving young managers.
In 1996, Mr. Robertson and his wife, Josie, founded the Robertson Foundation to focus on large-scale, domestic, high-impact grants in education, environment, religion, and medical research. Among the foundation’s major initiatives are active support of New York City’s public education reform, a merit-based scholarship program at Duke University and The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and combating global warming with market-based solutions.
Mr. Robertson is a member of the Board of Trustees of Environmental Defense, the Wildlife Conservation Society, and the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine. He is also a member of the National Board of Advisors of the Children’s Scholarship Fund and Vice Chairman and former President of the Board of Trustees of the Cancer Research Institute. He is Trustee Emeritus of Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts as well as the Rockefeller University.
Chris Shumway is the Founding Partner of Shumway Capital Partners (“SCP”), an investment management firm founded in 2001. SCP, which manages a multibillion dollar group of private investment funds, uses a private equity-like research model for public market investment on a global basis. Prior to forming SCP, Mr. Shumway was a Senior Managing Director at Tiger Management (1992-1999), an Analyst at Brentwood Associates (1990-1991), and an Analyst at Morgan Stanley & Co. (1988-1990). He received an M.B.A. from Harvard Business School (1993) and a B.S. from the McIntire School of Commerce at the University of Virginia (1988). Mr. Shumway is a member of the boards of the McIntire School of Commerce Foundation (University of Virginia), Teach for America-Connecticut (Fairfield County), and The Shumway Capital Foundation.
Paul Touradji is the President and Chief Investment Officer of Touradji Capital Management LP, a New York-based hedge fund specializing in fundamental research and active investment in commodities and related assets. The firm manages approximately $3.5 billion and invests in both the public and private markets. Mr. Touradji has well over a decade of experience investing in the commodity, equity, and macro markets. Mr. Touradji began his commodities career at Tiger Management in the mid '90s, where he managed the commodities team; it was at Tiger that he developed his fundamental approach to analysis and investment in commodities. Prior to Tiger, Mr. Touradji’s specialty was quantitative arbitrage, principally with O’Connor Partners. Mr. Touradji is a 1993 graduate of the McIntire School of Commerce at the University of Virginia and a Certified Financial Analyst.
Related to Experience to Become a Hedge Fund Manager | What do you Need?:
- Geographical Hedge Fund Guides
- Hedge Fund Employment Guide
- Financial Certification
- Hedge Fund Forum
- Prime Brokers
- Hedge Fund Software
- Investment Book
- Hedge Fund Terms and Definitions
- Commercial Real Estate Brokers
- Hedge Fund Database
Tags: Experience to Become a Hedge Fund Manager | What do you Need?, work experience to run a hedge fund, what experience is needed to run a hedge fund, hedge fund manager backgrounds